Winner: YWCA Metro Vancouver, a multi-service organization serving over 55,000 people annually through 43 programs.
Crabtree Housing has helped me in so many ways. The support and encouragement I was given to make healthy, life changing choices was the most important piece for me. I was able to overcome my addiction to drugs. I was able to end toxic relationships and get a full-time job. I successfully regained custody of my daughter within a year. I take pride in providing for my daughter today and I am forever grateful to Crabtree’s staff, programs and the clean, safe apartment I lived in while making the most important decisions of my life. Nora
The initiative: YWCA Crabtree Corner Housing provides 12 units of safe transitional housing and supports for young women who are recovering from drug and/or alcohol addictions and who are pregnant, have recently given birth, are currently parenting or are working to regain custody of their children.
- Housing and supports are for up to 18 months
- Initiatives to reduce barriers to affordable long-term housing such as grants to clear outstanding utility and housing debts
- Resources to support personal and professional development
Impact for young mothers:
- Support in recovering from drug and/or alcohol use
- Success in connecting with other community resources
- Opportunity to develop social and community networks
- Pregnant women delivering healthy babies and retaining custody or regaining custody
- Securing long-term housing after leaving Crabtree Corner